How Do Teens Get Vapes? 

teenage vaping

According to Statista, although smoking rates among teens have decreased over time in the USA, the use of vapes has replaced it. Shockingly, 85% of teenagers are now vaping and obtaining their vapes from various sources, such as seniors at school, local stores that do not follow age restrictions, and more. This blog will help you understand the nuances of vaping among teens, how they are obtaining these vapes, and from where. Lastly, we will enlighten you about the legal age for vaping.

Where Are Teens Getting Vapes From? 

It is noteworthy that a vast majority of teenagers, that is nearly 70%, did not purchase their vaping devices directly. Instead, they borrowed them from their peers. The remaining 30% obtained their vaping devices from other individuals, convenience stores, petrol stations, or tobacconists.

Vape for kids has been frequently bought in one or more of these ways: 

1) Through online sources

Online retailers often lack age verification mechanisms, allowing teenagers to buy vaping products without proving their age. This essentially enables them to circumvent age restrictions enforced by law. Unlike physical stores, online shopping offers anonymity, which allows teenagers to discreetly purchase vaping products without facing potential judgment or consequences in person.

Moreover, teenagers usually learn about online sources for vaping products through their peers or social media platforms, where the promotion and sale of vaping products are widespread. Peer influence plays a crucial role in driving vaping in teens. 

From where do teens get their vapes?

2) From friends or acquaintances 

When teenagers have friends or acquaintances of legal age or have easier access to vaping products, it becomes more convenient for them to obtain these products. Friends may purchase vapes for their underage peers, making them readily available. Friends of legal age can legally buy vaping products and may share or distribute them among their underage friends. Furthermore, this practice effectively bypasses the legal restrictions preventing teenagers from purchasing such products.

3) Retail stores 

Teenagers also get their vapes from retail stores that do not implement strict checks. Age verification processes in retail stores can be inconsistent in their effectiveness, which may result in underage teenagers being able to purchase vaping products. Moreover, since retail stores are easily accessible, it’s convenient for teenagers to obtain these products, which contributes to the widespread problem of underage vaping.

How Old Do You Have To Be To Buy A Vape?

In most states, you must be 21 to purchase a vape. These states include Alabama, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

However, Alaska and Arizona require buyers to be at least 19 years old, while Kansas, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, South Carolina, West Virginia, and Wisconsin have set the minimum age at 18.

How old do you need to be to buy a vape?

The Bottom Line

The issue of teenage access to vaping products has many dimensions. Teenagers obtain vapes from various sources, including online and retail stores, as well as through friends and acquaintances. The minimum age requirements for purchasing vapes vary from 18 to 21. This makes it harder to tackle the problem of underage vaping. However, we require stricter enforcement of age verification measures, educational campaigns for teenagers and retailers, and fostering open dialogues about vaping. Ultimately, parents, educators, and policymakers must work together to protect the well-being of our youth and ensure that they make informed decisions regarding vaping and its potential consequences.

Frequently Asked Questions

1) Why is vaping bad for teens?

Vaping is bad for teens as it may lead to addiction and other risks.

2) Is it illegal to vape at 14?

Yes, it is illegal to vape at 14 as the minimum age to vape varies between 18 to 21 years. 

3) How to get a vape underage?

You can get a vape underage at local stores, friends, acquaintances, gas stations and smoke shops. 



About Arya

As a vaping connoisseur, I help vaping enthusiasts and newbies make the right choices when it comes to choosing vaping devices. With years of experience in the vaping industry I try to help all those who wish to turn to vaping by providing well-structured and informative articles on the same.